Friday, September 3, 2010

I AM Important..... right?

In these less than perfect economic times, teachers seem to have turned into the "bad guy."  Seems every time I read an article about education or teachers, it's followed by at least 20 comments from parents bashing teachers about what a lousy job we do, anyone can do it, we have cushy hours, etc.  Add to that the increasing numbers of people who seem to be homeschooling their children and I must admit that sadly, I seem to be developing a bit of a complex about my chosen profession.  The more I teach, the more I see the connection between motherhood and teaching.  Being a mother can be an incredibly thank- less job.  Little ones demanding sippies to be filled, fights to be broken up, noses needing to be wiped and the list goes on and on and on.  But beyond all of the thank-less moments of motherhood come the amazing moments.  The moments when your little one gives you a cuddle and says "I love you" and you smile eventhough she is covered in chocolate.  Or when she grabs you by the legs so you can protect her, or when she reaches for your hand "just because."  Or when your girls are playing house together, and you realize that they are being loving and caring, and they are mimicking you.  I'm starting to see teaching in this way.  The thank-less jobs of writing numerous letters of recommendation on your own time, being cheery every day regardless of how you are really feeling, always lending an ear to listen even if it is taking up your lunch period, and on and on.  But the moments are there when you realize that education and teachers are vital to the development of the future.  When a student comes to you and thanks you for challenging him, you smile and feel proud.  When you see your "kids" (because they are all your kids) at graduation, you tear up knowing you made a difference.  When a student stays in contact through college and beyond, you know you were not only needed, but you helped.  These are the things about education that go un-noticed.  These are the reasons why we do it.  These are the reasons why kids need teachers - it takes a village and a teacher is another vital member of that village.  No matter how difficult being a mother is, I wouldn't change it for anything in the world.  And I feel the same way about teaching.  I love my job, but I am so saddened to see that not everyone sees the value of a teacher.  Day in and day out I do so much more than simply "teach" 150 teenagers a day.  I am a sounding board for their hopes and dreams, I am an adult they can confide in when there is no one else to turn to, I am a role model to them of the result of hard work and dedication.  I am tough on them when they need it, but always compassionate and putting their best interests first, no matter what.  I truly believe that I am NOT the exception to the rule, but I am what you will find in most teachers.  Why aren't we celebrated?  Why are we looked upon as people who chose teaching because it is "easy?"  Why do so many view our jobs and believe not only can they do it, but they can do it better than we can?  Sure, we are flawed, but a good teacher acknowledges his/her flaws and works to improve - the same way a mother knows when her patience are running out and locks herself in the bathroom for 5 minutes peace and "composure" time (please don't tell me I'm the only one who's ever done that!)  I long for a day when teaching will be a profession that is respected and acknowledged as important, because it really, truly is.  Teaching is not for everyone, neither is motherhood.  But those of us who choose teaching are special - because in all honesty, teaching has chosen us.  So as I try to navigate these choppy waters that have become the life of a teacher in a shaky economic time, I need to remind myself that I am making a difference and that I AM important.

**I know a lot of this post is rambling, but having been back at school for 2 weeks and being exposed to a lot of press lately bashing teachers, I have a lot of feelings stored up on the topic :-)

3 comments:

  1. Well said Megan! Ive been very lucky in the fact that my kids have all gotten teachers who are very caring and love what they do. I think it must take an insane amount of dedication, love and patience to be a teacher, something I know i couldnt do. Unfortunately I think so many people blame teachers for their own lack of interest in their childrens live snad education. Easier to say oh well their teacher is bad and doesnt care then look at the fact that they dont. I can only pray that my kids continue to get awesome teachers like you as they get older. Thanks for caring so much, Im positive it makes a huge difference in the lives of your students :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say, "Thank goodness for teachers!!" Here's hoping my boys have some wonderful ones like you!

    ReplyDelete